Professor and Chair of NanoEngineering Department at UCSD.
Professor of Bioengineering Department at UCSD.
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
Phone: (858) 822-7856
|Office:||Structural Materials Engineering (SME) building
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093
- 2018 Distinguished Seminar for Frontiers in Cardiovascular Science, Stanford Cardiovascular Institute, Stanford University
- 2017 Milton C. Shaw Manufacturing Research Medal, ASME
- 2017 Distinguished Seminar, BU Photonics Center, Boston University
- 2016 Distinguished seminar speaker, Medical Engineering Program, CalTech, 2016
- 2016 Distinguished Seminar, Eli and Edythe Broad CIRM Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research, University of Southern California, September, 2016.
- 2015 Russell Springer Professor (visiting), University of California at Berkeley
- 2015 Distinguished Seminar, Biomedical Engineering Department, University of California, Davis
- 2015 Invited Speaker, National Academy of Engineering US-China Frontier of Engineering Symposium.
- 2015 SPIE Applications of 3D Printing Best Paper Award, Photonics West, 2015
- 2014 The Corinne Bower Lecture, Pre Retina Society Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, 2014
- 2014 Edward Nagy New Investigator Award, National Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Bioengineering (NIBIB) of NIH.
- 2009 Outstanding Paper Award, 37th North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC) by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
- 2006 Pearlie D. Henderson Centennial Endowed Faculty Fellow, UT-Austin.
- 2006 Best Paper Award, Joint AIAA/ASME Thermophysics Conference
- 2005 Outstanding Faculty Award, GAIN2005, College of Engineering, UT-Austin
- 2005 Licensed three patents to CardioSpectra, Inc. (CSI). CSI was acquired by Volcano Corporation (NASDAQ: VOLC). Total Royalties paid to UT by CSI to date is $972,063.
- 2004 Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- 2002 Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineers Award, Society of Manuf. Engineers.
- 2001 CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- 2019-present Chair, NanoEngineering Department, UCSD
- 2014-2019 Vice Chair, NanoEngineering Department, UCSD
- 2014-present Director, Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Center, UCSD
- 2010-present Adjunct Professor, Radiology Department, UCSD
- 2010-present Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Program, UCSD
- 2010-present Faculty, Institute of Engineering in Medicine, UCSD
- 2010-present Faculty, Clinical and Translational Research Institute, UCSD
- 2010-present Professor Affiliate, Bioengineering Department, UCSD
- 2010-present Professor, NanoEngineering Department, University of California, San Diego
- 2009-2010 Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Texas at Austin
- 2008-2010 Program Director, NanoManufacturing Program, National Science Foundation
- 2005-2009 Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, UT-Austin
- 2002-2005 Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, UT-Austin
- 1999-2001 Assistant Professor, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering Dept, Iowa State Univ.
|Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)|
|Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)|
|Fellow, International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE)|
|Fellow, International Society for NanoManufacturing (ISNM)|
|Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)|
|Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering||2007-2010|
|Associate Editor, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology||2007-2011|
|Editorial Board: Nanomedicine (UK)||2005-2010|
|Editorial Board, Biofabrication||2008-present|
|Editorial Board, The Open Materials Science Journal||2008-present|
|Editorial Board, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing||2010-present|
|Editorial Board, Laser-based Manufacturing and Materials Processing||2012-present|
|Advisory Board, NextWave Ventures||2010-present|
|Editorial Board, Additive Manufacturing||2014-present|
|Advisory Board, StemoniX||2014-present|
|Editorial Board, Scientific Report (NPG)||2016-present|